"Everyone knows the more you wear pearls, little by little they become real....And isn't it the same with memories?" - The Madwoman of Chaillot

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A lesson from 30,000 feet

I knew a young woman when I worked at the Mayo Clinic who was from the Mayo family and couldn't reconcile her background and her boyfriend- he was a truck driver and too unpolished for her friends - but no one else was quite what she wanted... and I always thought it was very sad she broke up with him for that reason.

I always think of her when I hear Carly Simon sing The Carter Family which is playing on my iphone. I guess there is a lesson here.

you used to make me moan in bed but that can't be enough
my friends complained your jokes were crude your manners were too rough

don't know just what I wanted but I know I wanted more, someone smooth presentable to blend with my decor
now at night I think of how you grinned when you undressed
and I find I miss you more than I'd ever have guessed

Flying first class (on frequent flyer miles) to Nashville and three glasses of wine have made these old memories a little sentimental but now the Iphone has moved on and is playing Transsiberian orchestra and we are landing soon... did I mention they served me three glasses of wine? Maybe the lesson is don't drink so much wine on the airplane.....

Pat Cotter
Sent from my iPhone

No comments: