"Everyone knows the more you wear pearls, little by little they become real....And isn't it the same with memories?" - The Madwoman of Chaillot

Monday, October 20, 2008

De-Nesting

After years of accumulating things, one of my favorite activities now is cleaning stuff OUT of the house. My kids can't come over without me giving them piles of things and saying "take it or I'm throwing it out". And I've been giving away several large boxes EVERY time I get a call from Disabled American Vets or Epilepsy Foundation or whoever wants to pick up used household goods. I try to fill the trash can every week. Things I once couldn't part with are now easily discarded. I've given away formal dinnerware I never use (to my sister who does) and many of the clothes that I hoped would fit again some day are hopefully being used by someone who can fit in them now.

So far the effect has not been dramatic though - there is always more stuff to fill every drawer I empty. But it does already feel just a little bit lighter. If I keep it up for another 20 years, maybe my kids won't have quite as much to sort through and to throw out.

No comments: